In April, Gavin had his first Pinewood Derby in Cub Scouts. We procrastinated making his derby until a few days before the race, so one morning as Jason was leaving for work he asked me to have Gavin draw an outline on the block of wood, and he would help Gavin carve it out when he got home. I was thinking, "huh?!" I don't know anything about how to draw a shape out for a pinewood derby! Plus, they have all these crazy rules of weight and size, etc. So, I google searched for some ideas and printed off a template to cut out a boat shape that Gavin was really excited about. He wanted to paint it like a pirate ship. Jason warned him that it might not be the best shape for speed to win the race, but Gavin said he didn't care so we went ahead with the plan. Gavin painted it except for the lettering on the side which he asked me to do. We were excited for the race until we started hearing about all the crazy, obsessed parents out there! I have since learned that pinewood derby's bring out the worst in some parents! One parent complained that he didn't trust the cub master to hold on to our derby's after they were weighed in because he might cheat for his son! What? We trust him with our kids at scout camp, but we don't trust him with the derbys?! Another parent bought a track and timer for practice races to make sure they got the shape and weight of their derby just right to win! Woah...obsess much? Another parent admitted to staying up until 2 am making his son's derby just right to win...so my question is where is the fun in all this? Where is the great experience and memory making for the boys in this??? But, I'll get off my soap box now!
Here's Owen watching the show...doesn't he just look so cute in those little overalls...I'm obsessed with baby overalls...so CUTE!
Watching Gavin's race...
Gavin's car took second on this race...
Gavin holding up his driver's license...the leaders did a great job to make it fun for the boys.
Gavin's car ended up taking 3rd place overall with the Wolf Pack. He was SO excited! And, we were so excited for him. I was secretly glad that some of the parents who had made such a fuss over having a winning car didn't even place. I know...mean of me, but the obsession must end so it can be fun for the boys! Oh wait...I said I'd get off that soap box! lol
Gavin likes to show his excitement with rock-on signs or other crazy dance moves...such a funny kid!
No comments:
Post a Comment